Skip to main content

Portraits with the theme of hiding and revealing



 Portraits with the theme of hiding and revealing

 Images: Aim to shoot a minimum of 6 and present 3 of the strongest images.
You could take self-portraits, portraits of other people or a mix of both.

Hiding and revealing can mean physically - for example: hiding your face with your hand, then revealing your face in another, or using the material or a prop to do the same.

You could also interpret the theme to reveal something about yourself and/or the subject. Feel free to use writing with your work - that could be within the image, on the image or it could accompany it as a piece of text or be used within the title.


You can interpret the theme however you wish. I encourage you to push yourself to try something new, experiment and push yourself out of your comfort zone - even if it's just a little. Did you know your comfort zone shrinks if you don't push against it?







My own self-portraits with the theme of hiding and revealing 


I decided to take a self-portrait in the studio, I wanted it to be quite a simple set up with no props or anyone else in the shot. I used a grey background with two softboxes to my right and left-hand side.

I chose to look down at the floor and the cap I am wearing covers my face.  







This is a close-up portrait of my face, I didn't want it to be too complicated just straight to the point. The first shot I am looking down at the floor whereas the second shot is completely different a close up of my face.  






Post editing 




I am really happy with the image after editing on Photoshop using the Camera Raw Filter.








I decided to crop this just so it would bring my face right to the foreground, whilst editing I also changed to black and white and used vignetting which draws your eye into the centre. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Research studio portraits

Research photos These first two shots were taken by   Philippe Echaroux  who is a French celebrity photographer, he decided to set a kind of makeshift studio in a small stairwell.  I like how he used the flash from the righthand side and it highlights certain areas of the face.  The next TIFF x Huawei Portrait Studio photos were taken Andreanne Gautheir with a Huawei P20  I like the postion of the subject sitting down, he seems quite relaxed and he is not looking directly at the camera.

Saori shoot - (Location Task)

I n Japanese, the “ORI” in SAORI means “weaving”. The “SA” of SAORI has the same meaning as the Zen word “SAI”. It means that everything has its own individual dignity.  About Erna Janine... Erna Janine has been involved with natural textiles for over 20 years. She studied hand spinning with animal and plant fibres, botanical dyes and Viking age textile construction: warp weighted looms, tablet weaving, nalbinding etc. at the Icelandic College for traditional handcrafts in Reyjavik. For the last four years she has been visiting Japan regularly to study Saori freeweaving, a handweaving technique deleloped by Misao Jo. Unlike traditional textile techniques, which rely on repeating patterns, Saori Weaving is freestyle, personal to the weaver and so expressive that each cloth is unique, a work of art.  Examples of some shots of SAORI garments ...

Studio Photography 'Object story'

Object Story  These images were taken to show how difficult it can be to photograph metallic or reflective surfaces due to seeing a reflection of the camera or photographer in the image. To overcome this issue a studio softbox is used to help reduce the reflective quality of the object, this box helps to diffuse the light. Folding photo studio softbox cube box used to take these shots with a light pointing down from the top lefthand side. Photos I have taken for the Object story. The following two images are of a large permanent marker. I chose this object because of the story attached to it in terms of where it has travelled. The marker is approximately eight years old, it was originally red, however other colour inks have been used as refills. The marker has travelled with me to different cities around the UK. The following images were chosen for my object story because they show so...