Skip to main content

Analogue Vs Digital







Analogue photography is so different from using digital it really does make you think a lot more when you are taking a picture, your surroundings, the lighting and composition to name only a few. When you take the shot you have no option of looking at the image on the screen at the back of the camera so I find you tend to be a lot more aware certain things when taking a picture.
In some ways, I think this is a good thing as opposed to just taking as many shots as you like on a digital camera and being able to see how they look after they’re taken.

Analogue photography is best used when you have a lot more time and you’ve chosen to follow a certain kind of theme which I think is a really good thing, although I have spent a lot of time shooting a whole film and sometimes after developing I’ve only been happy with two or three photographs out of thirty-five, I guess this is because I’m in the early stages and still learning how to use Analogue.

Digital would be so good to use if you’re in a situation where you need to get the right photo in a short space of time, depending on what size card you have in the camera you can almost shot as many as you like with also having the option of being able to delete images that you’re not pleased with.

In terms of settings you do have so many more things that can be changed when taking photos, in some ways, this makes it obvious why digital is used by paparazzi and even with sports photography.

Digital photography is the use by everyone nowadays and it does allow you to make mistakes without you having to worry too much about it so in some ways it’s better than shooting with film.
I really like using analogue and it’s been great to learn the process of developing film and working in the dark room and it’ll be something I’ll carry on doing for sure, but if you’re working for a company who’ve given you some kind of commission or project that needs to be done and the picture needs to be exactly what there looking for then you would have to use digital for sure, especially when you could shoot an entire film and you don’t have the image that was needed for the customer.    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Research studio portraits

Research photos These first two shots were taken by   Philippe Echaroux  who is a French celebrity photographer, he decided to set a kind of makeshift studio in a small stairwell.  I like how he used the flash from the righthand side and it highlights certain areas of the face.  The next TIFF x Huawei Portrait Studio photos were taken Andreanne Gautheir with a Huawei P20  I like the postion of the subject sitting down, he seems quite relaxed and he is not looking directly at the camera.

Saori shoot - (Location Task)

I n Japanese, the “ORI” in SAORI means “weaving”. The “SA” of SAORI has the same meaning as the Zen word “SAI”. It means that everything has its own individual dignity.  About Erna Janine... Erna Janine has been involved with natural textiles for over 20 years. She studied hand spinning with animal and plant fibres, botanical dyes and Viking age textile construction: warp weighted looms, tablet weaving, nalbinding etc. at the Icelandic College for traditional handcrafts in Reyjavik. For the last four years she has been visiting Japan regularly to study Saori freeweaving, a handweaving technique deleloped by Misao Jo. Unlike traditional textile techniques, which rely on repeating patterns, Saori Weaving is freestyle, personal to the weaver and so expressive that each cloth is unique, a work of art.  Examples of some shots of SAORI garments ...

Studio Photography 'Object story'

Object Story  These images were taken to show how difficult it can be to photograph metallic or reflective surfaces due to seeing a reflection of the camera or photographer in the image. To overcome this issue a studio softbox is used to help reduce the reflective quality of the object, this box helps to diffuse the light. Folding photo studio softbox cube box used to take these shots with a light pointing down from the top lefthand side. Photos I have taken for the Object story. The following two images are of a large permanent marker. I chose this object because of the story attached to it in terms of where it has travelled. The marker is approximately eight years old, it was originally red, however other colour inks have been used as refills. The marker has travelled with me to different cities around the UK. The following images were chosen for my object story because they show so...