Skip to main content

Final Major Project




Visional and creative practitioners 



Here are some pictures I took whilst looking through the RPS Journal and also the British Journal of Photography. I have chosen to show pictures of photographers who shoot in the same area as I am focused on at the moment.





Ali Taptik is a Turkish photographer this is a selection of his pictures that show people in a nightclub,  you can clearly see expressions which are highlighted by the neon lights within the club.




Weegee (Arthur Fellig) 
Their First Murder, October 9, 1941.
Arthur Fellig was a photojournalist and he worked around Manhatten during the 1930s.
here is how he has described the way he works:  

"In my particular case I didn't wait 'til somebody gave me a job or something, I went and created a job for myself—freelance photographer. And what I did, anybody else can do. What I did simply was this: I went down to Manhattan Police Headquarters and for two years I worked without a police card or any kind of credentials. When a story came over a police teletype, I would go to it. The idea was I sold the pictures to the newspapers. And naturally, I picked a story that meant something"







Dario Mitideri 
Holi, The Festival of Colours

This is a great image and it shows all of the energy that Mitideri has captured in this picture during the festival of colours. This is the technique I really need to use in my own work, which is to almost get involved with what is going on.  










This image shows some neon lights which actually say, MAGIC PARTY PLACE, surrounded by total darkness.



The man expression on his face as he dances with the lady is brilliant, it can make you wonder if it's because he is aware of the shot being taken or because he doesn't really want to be dancing with the lady at all.


CJ Clarke is a photographer, director, and producer who actually has his own book called, The Magic Party Place, which documented contemporary England over the last ten years. 




I Think this is my favorite image out of all them, a double exposure shows the lady's movement as she is dancing. It is a great effect where she is looking directly at the camera but also to her right as she turns her head.








Malick Sidibé
Nuit de Noël ( Happy Club) 1963

These shots would have been taken using film and they are really nice images which could have been taken with Sidibé positioned quite close while they were dancing.











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Research studio portraits

Research photos These first two shots were taken by   Philippe Echaroux  who is a French celebrity photographer, he decided to set a kind of makeshift studio in a small stairwell.  I like how he used the flash from the righthand side and it highlights certain areas of the face.  The next TIFF x Huawei Portrait Studio photos were taken Andreanne Gautheir with a Huawei P20  I like the postion of the subject sitting down, he seems quite relaxed and he is not looking directly at the camera.

Saori shoot - (Location Task)

I n Japanese, the “ORI” in SAORI means “weaving”. The “SA” of SAORI has the same meaning as the Zen word “SAI”. It means that everything has its own individual dignity.  About Erna Janine... Erna Janine has been involved with natural textiles for over 20 years. She studied hand spinning with animal and plant fibres, botanical dyes and Viking age textile construction: warp weighted looms, tablet weaving, nalbinding etc. at the Icelandic College for traditional handcrafts in Reyjavik. For the last four years she has been visiting Japan regularly to study Saori freeweaving, a handweaving technique deleloped by Misao Jo. Unlike traditional textile techniques, which rely on repeating patterns, Saori Weaving is freestyle, personal to the weaver and so expressive that each cloth is unique, a work of art.  Examples of some shots of SAORI garments ...

Studio Photography 'Object story'

Object Story  These images were taken to show how difficult it can be to photograph metallic or reflective surfaces due to seeing a reflection of the camera or photographer in the image. To overcome this issue a studio softbox is used to help reduce the reflective quality of the object, this box helps to diffuse the light. Folding photo studio softbox cube box used to take these shots with a light pointing down from the top lefthand side. Photos I have taken for the Object story. The following two images are of a large permanent marker. I chose this object because of the story attached to it in terms of where it has travelled. The marker is approximately eight years old, it was originally red, however other colour inks have been used as refills. The marker has travelled with me to different cities around the UK. The following images were chosen for my object story because they show so...