Skip to main content

Produce a simple hand made book on the theme of - HOME




Brief Proposal for my book 



This is how I’m planning to photograph my current home which is my parent's house. I had to move back with them five years ago as I had quite a bad accident and I was unable to live in Bristol by myself, I’ve not been able to work now for five years now so I would’ve been unable to pay rent for a property.
I was very lucky that I had the support of my parents and I was able to move back and live with them and not have to pay rent, after spending two and a half months in hospital it was quite hard to adjust to normal everyday life and there’s been quite a lot of progression in my recovery for me to be in the state I’m in now.

At the moment I’m at the stage where I have a feeling of frustration that I’m unable to move into my own house/apartment so I’m able to live more of an independent life, although I know this will happen I also have the feeling that it would be so good to have my own space and also to allow them to have the rest of their house back.

I’ve decided to use a fisheye lens that will give quite a strange panoramic effect and try to 
shoot pictures from certain angles and have different kinds of composition that can express this feeling of frustration I have in some way, I think I’ll be able to achieve this and it’ll be interesting to see the different photos I shoot until I choose my final selection.   





Alex Acin showed us how to make our own basic photo book and we were able to make our own completed dummy book, it would include our own photos that we had taken which explored the idea of home.



Here are the different steps of making the photobook from A4 paper 



This tool is used to make the holes in which the needle will go through down through the center when the paper is folded in half.





The thread will be waxed which can make it stronger and stop it from being damaged.




This is a diagram of how the needle and the thread need to be put on the paper to create the binding.




You're able to make a really good quality photobook after following these steps, here are some pictures of the book i made with some of the photos I had shot laid out inside.
These are just the first photographs and it's still in the early stages.



The book has a grey cover which is almost card and you're able to see the thread go up the spine on the righthand side.



I'm not sure if i'll use the smaller double page spread although it might work quite well when i include text.




I might even have one page without an image if I'm going to write about each individual photo but I'm not too sure yet.  



I liked the idea of using a double page spread on the two middle pages.each


Evaluation 
Research, both critical and visual, impacted on my work

This was an interesting assignment but I did find it quite a challenge as I decided to show where I'm living at the moment after an accident I had five years ago that has changed my life.
Using the fisheye lens did give the effect that I was after although it was quite hard to use in terms of focus and you're unable to have the option of using AF (Auto Focus) with the lens, the final images I chose did give the right effect which is to show the frustration I have living   at my parents house and not in my flat in Bristol, which is where I was living before the accident.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Research studio portraits

Research photos These first two shots were taken by   Philippe Echaroux  who is a French celebrity photographer, he decided to set a kind of makeshift studio in a small stairwell.  I like how he used the flash from the righthand side and it highlights certain areas of the face.  The next TIFF x Huawei Portrait Studio photos were taken Andreanne Gautheir with a Huawei P20  I like the postion of the subject sitting down, he seems quite relaxed and he is not looking directly at the camera.

Saori shoot - (Location Task)

I n Japanese, the “ORI” in SAORI means “weaving”. The “SA” of SAORI has the same meaning as the Zen word “SAI”. It means that everything has its own individual dignity.  About Erna Janine... Erna Janine has been involved with natural textiles for over 20 years. She studied hand spinning with animal and plant fibres, botanical dyes and Viking age textile construction: warp weighted looms, tablet weaving, nalbinding etc. at the Icelandic College for traditional handcrafts in Reyjavik. For the last four years she has been visiting Japan regularly to study Saori freeweaving, a handweaving technique deleloped by Misao Jo. Unlike traditional textile techniques, which rely on repeating patterns, Saori Weaving is freestyle, personal to the weaver and so expressive that each cloth is unique, a work of art.  Examples of some shots of SAORI garments ...

Studio Photography 'Object story'

Object Story  These images were taken to show how difficult it can be to photograph metallic or reflective surfaces due to seeing a reflection of the camera or photographer in the image. To overcome this issue a studio softbox is used to help reduce the reflective quality of the object, this box helps to diffuse the light. Folding photo studio softbox cube box used to take these shots with a light pointing down from the top lefthand side. Photos I have taken for the Object story. The following two images are of a large permanent marker. I chose this object because of the story attached to it in terms of where it has travelled. The marker is approximately eight years old, it was originally red, however other colour inks have been used as refills. The marker has travelled with me to different cities around the UK. The following images were chosen for my object story because they show so...